Colder months bring out depletion in the natural moisture of the skin and subsequently, hair. Problems such as dryness, frizzy hair and itchiness of the scalp start to show up... The consistent exposure to cooler outdoors and warm indoors deprive the hair of its moisture which leads to dullness and damage.
Our hair tends to get dry and more prone to breakage during this season. Dryness of the hair further leads to an increase in dandruff that can turn a lot worse if proper care is not taken.
Given below is a list of nutrient-enriched, nourishing and highly useful essential oils for hair care that can be used to add a great amount of shine to the hair. The result of using these essential oils for dry hair can be seen instantly. Let’s have a look at suitable essential oils for the winter season:
1. CEDARWOOD ESSENTIAL OIL: The regular use of Cedarwood essential oil moisturizes the scalp, reduces dandruff, hydrates hair and relieves stress. Massaging the scalp with a blend of Cedarwood essential oil and carrier oil helps in reducing the irritation caused due to an itchy and flaky scalp.
This Essential Oil is known to soothe dandruff and even scalp eczema. It would be a great idea to apply this blend of Cedarwood Essential Oil along with a base oil on your scalp and hair before going to bed firstly as overnight treatment will help your hair and secondly because it helps induce restful sleep.Buy now for INR 445
2. ROSEMARY ESSENTIAL OIL: Used since ancient times, Rosemary Essential Oil makes the hair longer and stronger. It is also used for treating flakiness and dryness of the hair.
The massaging of the scalp with rosemary essential oil is a powerful dandruff treatment. Rosemary is the most used essential oil to combat hair fall and to help hair growth, it clears hair follicles of pollutant and stimulates them.Buy now for INR 695
3. LAVENDER ESSENTIAL OIL: One of the most widely accepted and useful essential oils, the Lavender Essential Oil works as an anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory and an antidepressant agent. It can do wonders for the dry and flaky scalp because of its moisturizing abilities to keep the skin healthy.
When combined with a carrier oil, it can be used to improve hydration and keep the scalp healthy and hydrated. Using Lavender oil in the diffuser can also alleviate restlessness and depression problems. Buy now for INR 995
4. TEA TREE ESSENTIAL OIL: Dry skin is one of the major irritants at the time of winters. Using Tea Tree essential oil regularly can provide relief from a dry scalp. This oil is rich in terpenes-4-of which goes deep inside the hair follicles and kills the microorganisms that are responsible for causing dandruff.
If you need instant relief against dry and itchy scalp then using this oil can help a lot. Add some drops in your shampoo or mix it with some carrier oil to massage it on the scalp. Leave the oil through the night and wash it off the next morning. Buy now for INR 595
5. YLANG YLANG ESSENTIAL OIL: Ylang Ylang Essential Oil has been used for centuries to hydrate and strengthen hair.
Apart from these properties it smells divine and helps soothe the mind from any sort of stress or anxiety. Buy now for INR 695
For Women adding Essential Oils such as Geranium and Clary Sage to your hair oil is a great idea for their amazing aroma, hydration and hormone-balancing properties.
Similarly for men adding Patchouli Essential Oil to your hair oil is a great idea due to its amazing manly, musky aroma and hydration and soothing properties.
Which Carrier oils to use in the winter?
1. SWEET ALMOND OIL: All women have experienced hair fall at some point or another. Treating this problem with a long-lasting solution, the use of almond oil can play a significant role in growing the hair as it prevents it from hair fall and breakage. Buy now for INR 595
This oil contains all types of healthy ingredients for the hair-like Omega-3, Vitamin E, fatty acids, phospholipids, magnesium, etc.
2. WALNUT OIL: Walnut Oil is known to help boost hair growth & hydration due to being full of polyunsaturated fatty acids, monounsaturated fats, and saturated fats, zinc, manganese, niacin, potassium and copper. Buy now for INR 495
When blending Essential Oils please keep in mind the dilution ratio, 3 to 5% dilution in a base or carrier oil, refer to the attached dilution chart in the link below to understand the number of drops.
For Facial Skin – 0.7 to 2%
Body Massage – 1.5 to 3%
Pain Relief – 5 – 7%
Few things you should know
The thumb rule to keep in mind for all Essential Oil usage is the dilution should be kept at 3%. Essential Oils are very strong and potent and should be used sparingly. Please maintain caution on usage.
You can also find us at farmers markets in different cities, at The Earth Collective by Meenu Nageshwaran in New Delhi, at Luke Coutinho's Farmers Markets in Bangalore and Mumbai.