Winter is here! And with its onset, it brings forth multiple challenges for keeping skin healthy & hydrated, taking care of extreme dryness and related issues like itchiness, flakiness, redness and damage from UV rays.
If you are aware of this struggle all too well, maybe you should consider investing in some good & pure essential oils. When used correctly, pure essential oils have the potential to rejuvenate our cells, nourish and hydrate our skin,
Additionally, essential oils have a beautiful inherent aroma and properties that may help uplifting our mood and focus on problems that go beyond our physical appearance. Using them regularly may also soothe stress, anxiety and also help us sleep well.
In this article, we have put together some of the best essential oils that can be used for winter skincare. If you want to ensure a relaxing, feel good and efficient self-care routine, consider using one of these to treat yourself with a much needed natural skincare ritual.
1. Lavender Essential Oil: One of the most comprehensive essential oils, Lavender may help in keeping the skin hydrated and may also be used to relax and enjoy a restful sleep. The anti-inflammatory properties of lavender oil make it a highly favoured choice for soothing skin. We can also use this oil in a diffuser to clear up congestion, stuffy nose, calm the mind or meditate.
Although this is one of the only Essential oils that can be applied independently, it is best if you dilute Lavender Essential oil in a carrier oil such as apricot or coconut oil in 2% dilution and apply.
2. Geranium Essential Oil: This oil is known to do wonders for the skin, all the more in the trying winter months.
Apart from its anti-inflammatory, antiseptic and antibacterial properties, it helps balance the sebum production of the skin, helping in hydration and the uplifting floral aroma soothes the soul along with your skin.
3.Cedarwood Essential Oil: Used very often to help soothe different skin, scalp & hair conditions, Cedarwood Essential Oil is considered to be a great agent for moisturizing the skin
Cedarwood Essential Oil is known to help soothe irritation, inflammation, redness, and itchiness, as well as dryness that leads to cracking, peeling, or blistering. It is used to regulate sebum production, eliminates acne-causing bacteria, guards the skin against environmental pollutants and toxins, reduces the chances of future breakouts and helps create a soothing & restful environment when diffused.
4. Frankincense Essential Oil: Our suggestion? Always add some Frankincense to every blend! It is known for its many benefits such as strengthening the immune system, calming the mind, clearing congestion, stimulating blood flow & for healthy regeneration of new cells.
5. Patchouli Essential Oil: As a natural anti-inflammatory, patchouli helps to heal cracked skin—which means you can say but-bye to winter woes like chapped hands and peeling lips.
It can also be used on scarred skin and rough patches, so it’s great for giving knees and elbows a little extra love when they need it.
6. Palmarosa Essential Oil: It's nourishing and hydrating for your cells, and it normalizes your natural oil production, which is super cool. Feel free to apply this bad boy all over, from head to toe.
All of these Essential Oils can also be used in the diffuser to create a relaxing & refreshing atmosphere.
Stay prepared to take on the winter months by keeping your skin and your mood healthy by using the above mentioned essential oils for dry skin.
Few things you should know
The thumb rule to keep in mind for all Essential Oil usage is the dilution should be kept at 3%. Essential Oils are very strong and potent and should be used sparingly. Please maintain caution on usage.
You can also find us at farmers markets in different cities, at The Earth Collective by Meenu Nageshwaran in New Delhi, at Luke Coutinho's Farmers Markets in Bangalore and Mumbai.
The refreshing citrus burst is bound to put a smile on your face.