4 Best Essential Oils for Headache and Migraine
Pure Essential oils are steam distilled from petals, flowers, roots of a plant. Every essential oil offers health benefits and has been used for medicinal purposes for years. They are effective in relieving headaches, migraines, and other everyday worries as well.
Recurrent headaches and migraines can disrupt your lifestyle. People who suffer from frequent and intense headaches are always on the lookout for a remedy. It can occur due to many reasons but the common triggers are – light, sound, smell, food, caffeine, stress, deficiencies, sensitivities amongst many others. If you are someone that struggles with headaches often and pop pills often, we suggest taking a natural approach and use one of these very effective Essential oils to soothe your struggle.
The Essential Oils For Headache Are Listed Below
1. Lavender Essential Oil
The popular uses of lavender essential oil are usually for stress, inducing sleep, and relaxation in aromatherapy. What many people aren’t aware of is its ability to relieve and reduce the frequency of headaches.
It is well known that inhaling as well as applying this essential oil for migraine headaches can be very effective and gives relief in a matter of a few minutes.
A number of people are also known to get headaches due to stress and anxiety, Lavender Essential oil is the best natural solution to help relax and reduce physical discomfort.
How to use it?
- Steam Inhalation: You can add a few drops to a steam inhaler, or add 1-2 drops to 2 cups of boiling water and then inhale the steam.
- Application: Mix 1 drop of Pure Lavender Essential Oil and apply on temples, nape of the neck, and under the nose.
- So, the next time you are on the lookout for essential oil for migraines, get yourself a bottle of lavender oil. However, if the headaches are severe and recurrent, consult with your doctor
2. Eucalyptus Oil
If you are a sinus patient or suffer from frequent migraine attacks, Eucalyptus essential oil can become your next love. Although they can’t fully stop headaches and migraine attacks they reduce the frequency and relieve the symptoms of an intense headache. The first thing to do to reduce headaches is to identify the triggers. The next stage would be to select an essential oil that suits the purpose.
Eucalyptus is the best essential oil for headaches caused by sinus trouble, colds & congestions. This oil opens the nasal passage and relaxes the nasal pathway and clears the sinuses.
How to use it?
- Application: Take a few drops of eucalyptus oil and dilute it with some carrier oil. Apply it gently to your temples, nape of the neck and chest.
- Steam Inhalation: You can also add a few drops to a basin of warm water and inhale the vapour.
3. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint Essential oil is known for relieving headaches and is effective in clearing clogged sinuses, making breathing easier, improves the blood flow in the body, promoting alertness and reducing the frequency and intensity of headaches.
Methods to use peppermint oil for headaches
- Application: Take a few drops of peppermint essential oil and dilute it with some carrier oil. Apply it gently to your temples, nape of the neck and chest.
- Steam Inhalation: You can also add a few drops to a basin of warm water and inhale the vapour. Use a towel to cover your head and breathe. Keep your eyes closed. Do not exceed more than 2 minutes.
- Bath Water: A bath reduces the intensity of a headache. Add 2 drops to your bathwater.
4. Rosemary Essential Oil
This is a recommended essential oil for headaches as it has analgesic and anti-inflammatory properties. It has been used to soothe headaches, pain relief, stress, and anxiety since ancient times. It’s the ideal choice when you have a lot of tasks at hand and cannot afford to rest it out. It will help you focus better and boost concentration.
How to use it?
- Application: Mix a few drops of rosemary oil with a carrier oil like coconut or almond. Apply on temples, nape of the neck, and a little bit under the nose.
- Steam Inhalation: You can also add a few drops to a basin of warm water and inhale the vapor.
If you wish to get more clarity on dilution ratios to click here
For more details on how to use Essential Oils correctly, safety measures click here.