How to Use Essential Oils for Retraining Your Senses After Covid?
It's no secret that essential oils are beneficial for a variety of things, from boosting your immune system to improving your mood. But did you know that they can also be used for retraining your senses after Covid? Essential oils can also help improve your concentration and focus so that you can get back into a normal routine.
Essential oils are one of the most versatile tools you can have in your healthcare arsenal. In this post, we'll discuss how to use essential oils for loss of taste and smell and retrain your senses as you recover from Covid. Keep reading to find out more!
Loss of sense is one of the most common symptoms of Covid. Even after being cured of the infection, some people continue facing an issue in regaining their original senses. Temporary, partial, or distorted loss of smell, also called anosmia, could also lead to emotional and mental distress due to an inability to fully enjoy your meals or partake in regular social activities.
If you are not a fan of Western medicines and wish to focus on a more traditional and comprehensive approach to retrain your senses, then essential oils are ideal.
Essential Oils and the Process of Regaining Your Senses
Essential oils come in a wide range of fragrances. With a bit of practice every day, you can use essential oils to recover from loss of smell through aromatherapy. The following are some of the best oils for this purpose:
- Sweet Orange
- Geranium, etc.
Now do a little essential oils smell therapy by including any three of the above mentioned oils into your daily routine in the following way:
- Take a few drops of an essential oil of your choice and keep it close to your nose. Try to focus on the smell for at least 15 seconds.
- After a 10 seconds break, try the same procedure with another oil, trying to remember what it smelled like.
- Again, after a 10 seconds break, follow the same procedure with another oil.
- Keep doing this for three months with the same three oils. After three months, you can change the three oils and do the same practice with new oils.
With a little bit of patience, you will be able to regain your senses. For the right way to inhale essential oils, create a DIY roll-on for aromatherapy by following the steps in the next section:
Roll-On Recipe for Aromatherapy
The best method of application of essential oils for loss of taste and smell is by creating a roll-on for yourself. Below is the recipe for creating a roll-on with your favourite essential oil.
- Select the essential oil you want to add to your roll-on for your aromatherapy.
- You will need to add a carrier oil into your roll-on. Choose a carrier oil as the base oil, that will help dilute your essential oils. Some good base oils are sweet almond oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil, etc.
- Choose a glass roll-on bottle with a stainless steel ball. If your bottle has a 10 ml capacity, fill it 3/4th with the base oil.
- Add about 10 drops of essential oil and the carrier oil to fill the rest of the bottle. Place on the roller cap and shake the bottle. For your convenience, you can add a tag/label to the bottle.
- You can roll the bottle on your neck, wrists, chest, or nose area to ensure regular intake of the fragrance. But be sure to keep it away from the eyes or mucus membranes.
Essential Oils with Therapeutic Properties
The therapeutic properties of some of the widely used essential oils that help with providing sensory relief post-Covid are:
Eucalyptus (Eucalyptus globulus) - Eucalyptus oil contains phytochemicals and a strong medicinal aroma that are known to act on the nervous system to lower blood pressure and help regain your sense of smell.
Basil (Ocimum casilicum ct. linalool) - This essential oil has antiviral properties in it, and its aroma has been proven to ‘clear the head’, i.e., improve brain functioning and concentration.
Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) - Bergamot comes with a strong citrusy smell to help your nose regain its sense.
Clary Sage (Salvia sclarea) - It is used to soothe respiratory issues, such as asthma, anosmia, and the anxieties and depression associated with breathing problems.
Meraki Essentials offers a wide range of essential oils to cure loss of taste and smell and to provide relief against various other health issues. Some of our popular oils include Frankincense, Cedarwood, Cinnamon Leaf, Lavender, Orange, Lemongrass, etc. You can utilise it to get rid of breathing problems such as anosmia, and regain your senses.
Buy the perfect oil for yourself today, and create a roll-on to add this amazing and effective practice to your daily routine for the best results. Get well soon!